I can't tell you how many times a story line hit close to home or how many valuable lessons I've learned from this series. The one story line that affects me the most is when Dan Scott goes to jail for murdering his brother. My own father went to jail for a long time for crimes he committed. It wasn't for murder but it was still a tragedy that my family had to face then, still faces today, and will probably face forever. It has been seven years since everything went down and I don't know how I'll get past it, or how I'll deal with it properly, yet. But this show has proven to me that I'm not alone and it's OK if some days are harder than others. This isn't something that can be resolved over night, or in my case over seven years of nights. You know, this is going to affect me and how I live my life... for the rest of my life. And it's comforting to me to see issues like this touched upon.
OTH has taught me:
- The importance of working towards my dreams and goals & what to expect if I achieve them or even if I don't.
- The importance of having a strong support system. Whether it's your own family or the family you create for yourself (let's face it, most of my "family" are my good friends, as are the characters in the show), a solid support system is an essential part of life.
- That I am not alone in my struggles. We all face hardships and it's easy to feel like you're the only one in the world who is struggling, but you're not. And it's essential to remember that and to know that it's okay to reach out for help.
- The importance of forgiveness. It's a hard concept to master but in order to move forward in a positive manner, you have to learn to forgive.
- That true love knows no boundaries. If two people are meant to be together, they will be... no matter how long it takes them to see it.
- That people can change, for better and for worse.
- The responsibility we have to ourselves and each other to live a good, honest life.
"Make a wish and place it in your heart. Anything you want. Everything you want. Do you have it? Good. Now believe it can come true. You never know where the next miracle is going to come from, the next smile. The next wish come true. But if you believe that it is right around the corner. And you open your heart and mind to the possibility of it. To the certainty of it. You just might get the thing you're wishing for. The world is full of magic. You just have to believe in it. So make your wish. Do you have it? Good. Now believe in it. With all your heart."